< What I Learned Teaching Sunday School: Life's little choices

Friday, December 08, 2006

Life's little choices

Joshua 24:14 says, “but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

This is a daily decision and everything we do all day should reflect on this promise. Obeying God is the first step. We need to check our thoughts and actions to see if there is an area where we lack total commitment to God. Often our motives, not our actions, contain the sin. If we fill our life with God, worship and service we will have no room for sin. But, it’s a daily and sometimes hourly decision to put God first. To put His will before ours, to choose the higher ground.

Luke 9:23 says, “Let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” We are called to ignore our selfish desires and follow Christ’s way. To strive to become more and more like Him.

John the Baptist told the Pharisees and Sadducees in Matthew 3:8 to “bear fruit that befits repentance.” Our words are judged by the actions that accompany them.

To help out at church, call the sick or lonely, give our time, talent and money always. Not just now or then in big things, but in constant daily things. God wants us to love others, help them and witness to them. That’s what Christians do. Love is the very foundation of Christianity. In every event of our day we can make a choice to put God’s will before our own. Should I pray first or get my chores done? Should I volunteer to teach a Sunday school class or just attend the class? Should I cook a meal for a sick neighbor or go out to dinner with my family. Should I read a Bible story to my child or send him off to bed with his own book. Should I lie to make things easier, or tell the truth and take the consequences? Should I put on an uncomplaining smile or grumble about my problems. Should I choose to accept my problems as a part of life and an opportunity to grow? Should I confess a sin and repent, or try to ignore it and live with the guilt.

The key ingredients to obedience can be found in Exodus 15:26. “If you will diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord your God and do that which is right in His eyes and give heed to His commandments and keep His statutes.” Then we are obedient to God. We are in His will. And our daily choices will reflect this

Lord, fill me with the Holy Spirit. Let me enter into the full inheritance of Christ. Show me what’s holding me back and help me repent of it.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, our day to day living as Christians does contain a lot of choices. Only by daily and regular prayer can we hope to make the right ones. Decent post! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home