< What I Learned Teaching Sunday School: God's will for my life

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

God's will for my life

One of the biggest dilemmas we face is figuring out God’s will for our lives.

What does He want us to do? How are we going to get there? What can we do to figure it out?

Knowing the Lord’s will is much more than a five-step program or asking a question and getting an answer. It begins with knowing the Lord Himself. Regular prayer and Bible reading are essential parts of a close relationship with God. As you grow closer to Him and understand more of His character, the plan He has for your life will begin to be revealed. This is an important, foundational part of understanding God’s plans for you.

To know the Lord’s will for your life, you need to see things the way He sees them. This happens through a renewing of your mind. In Romans 12:2 (NIV), Paul writes, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

Renewing your mind means to gain an entirely new way of thinking, rather than simply blending in with what the rest of the world says. It applies to every area of our life: from our relationships (Do I have friends for my own enjoyment, or are they an opportunity for me to be an example of Christ?) to every one of our motivations (Is my goal to have as much fun as possible, or to serve God with all of my heart?)

By setting your mind on the things above (Colossians 3:1-3), you will gain a new perspective that Scripture teaches us will allow you to “test and approve what God’s will is.”

Many people wonder just how the Lord speaks to us. This is sometimes the most difficult aspect of knowing His will, but it is much simpler than some make it out to be. There is no one way that the Lord speaks. Sometimes He makes things clear through prayer or while reading His word, and other times it is through what people say. There are examples throughout the Bible of God speaking to His people in a variety of ways. When we keep an open mind and an open heart, we allow the Lord to work in whichever way He desires.

One way to begin to explore what God may have planned for your future is to look at what God has given you right now. Our gifts and talents have been given to us by God and are often indicators of what He wants us to do with our lives. Are you a great singer? Maybe God has created you to be a worship leader. Do you love being with people? God might have plans for you to become a counselor. Whether it is music, art, teaching, writing or any other gift, the Lord wants you to use these abilities for His glory.

God’s plan for your life could be revealed at any time and in many different ways. If you believe that He has spoken to you about what He wants you to do with your life, be sure to take time to pray thoroughly about it and ask others for advice. If you have no idea, do not give up! God is faithful and He wants to speak to you just as much if not more than how much you want to hear Him. Jeremiah 29:13 (NIV) says, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

Knowing the Lord’s will for your life is a process that begins with a firm relationship with God and knowledge of His Word. As you search for Him will all your heart, He will reveal Himself to you. He does have an incredible plan for your life. Continue to do all that you can to grow closer to Him, and He will show you great things. (Jeremiah 33:3)

“Pray that the Lord your God will tell you where to go and what to do.” Jeremiah 42:3

“For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

My life’s purpose is to be a member of Christ’s family, grow like Him in character, model His character, minister His grace, be a messanger of His Word and a magnifier of His glory.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I can`t write much because I`m late from school, but the thing is I would really like to know you better.
I`m in a Christian school, and I LOVE it. I think God sent me there, and I know why. Or I don`t?
Please if you have a little time write back. thanks
Dreamingirl

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy-
What a wonderful statement. This is one of the main messages of the gospel that should be introduced to all those we counsel. If every individual would accept this and apply it to their daily lives just think of the problems that would simply melt away. Thank you for sharing this.
Blessings,
Rev. Lori L. Kostiuk

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Dreamingirl,

I appologize for not having seen your comment earlier. I thought my blog was set to let me know when I had messages. (apparently not!)

Thank you for taking the time to write. I think it's GREAT that you are in a Christian school. I wish we had done that for my daughter! It sounds like you appreciate it. Write to me any time.

Nancy

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Rev. Lori,

Thank you so much for you comment. Coming from a minister, I especially appreciate it!

Nancy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home