< What I Learned Teaching Sunday School: How to Have A Clear Conscience

Saturday, October 28, 2006

How to Have A Clear Conscience

One way to have a clear conscience is to live a blameless life. My application Bible says that the theme of Psalm 15 is "guidelines for a blameless life.” It tells us to speak truth from the heart, to not slander, to do our neighbors no wrong, to cast no slur on our fellowmen, to despise vile men, to honor those who fear the Lord, to keep our promises, to lend money without usury and to not take bribes.

The Bible is full of advice about how to live life in such a way that gives us a clear conscience. Micah 6:8 tells us to do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with God. Isaiah 56:1 tells us to keep justice and do righteousness. Isaiah 33:15 says to walk righteously and speak uprightly, to despise gain of oppressions, not accept bribes or look at evil.

Why are we to live this way? 1 Peter 3:16 tells us to keep our conscience clear “so that when we are abused, those who revile our good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.“ Romans 13:5 tells us it honors God to have a clear conscience. Also, doing so will give us peace. Isaiah 26:3 says, “Thou dost keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusts in thee.” Job, in all his trials, was able to say in Job 27:6, “I hold fast my righteousness, and will not let go; my heart does not reproach me for any of my days.” But, Psalm 101, even though it goes into detail about how to live a blameless life and how we should chose as our models and friends those who are godly and truthful, also admits that we can’t be blameless without God. “I will be careful to lead a blameless life – when will you come to me?”

Only God’s forgiveness and the desire and determination to live rightly before God can bring a clear conscience. Psalm 32:1-5 tells us we are blessed whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. But, it also says we must confess those sins. “I said I will confess my transgressions to the Lord – and You forgave the guilt of my sin.” God gives us a way to have a clear conscience. We should strive to live a blameless life, but when we try and still mess up He can wipe the slate clean through our confession and His forgiveness.

As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. Proverbs 23:7

There is one thing alone that stands the brunt of life throughout its length; a quiet conscience before God.” 1 John 3:21

The way to make yourself count is to serve others with kindness and love.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home