< What I Learned Teaching Sunday School: The Secret

Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Secret

I had taped the Oprah show that was about the book and DVD The Secret and finally watched them today. Part of me smiled when I heard the message thinking, “That’s all in the Bible – it’s nothing new.” And part of me was a little sad that God wasn’t getting the credit.

Oprah said, “People are looking for guidance and meaning like never before.” I do think this is true, but why are people so quick to believe in their own power, but not in God’s? Or believe New Age over Truth?

One of the big messages in The Secret is we become what we are interested in. Well, again, the Bible said that first. We are warned to keep our thoughts on what is good and pure and holy because our actions follow our thoughts.

I’m not saying that a lot of the advice they gave wasn’t good and couldn’t give you a more abundant and even joyful life. I just don’t see how they can’t see God in the equation. It’s so clear to me.

One of the audience members did ask the panelists if God fits into the message. They said yes, but then went on to say we are living our heaven or hell out now, inside of us, on earth, they apparently didn’t believe in a heaven or hell after life.

I could tell from the lady’s face in the audience she wasn’t buying it.

Neither am I.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home