< What I Learned Teaching Sunday School: Sermon from John 15 – Abiding in Christ

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sermon from John 15 – Abiding in Christ

Our minister, Kurt Gebhards, had a great sermon recently from the 15th chapter of John.

What Jesus talked about in John 15 took place on the night before He died. Since He knew He was going to die this was important stuff He needed to share!

John 15:1 – 2 1"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes] so that it will be even more fruitful.”

Christianity is the story of the work of God and the work of Jesus Christ. God is the worker. This verse calls Him the gardener. He tends and protects the vineyard. Christ is the vine and Christians are the branches who bear the fruit. Bearing fruit gives Him glory! He is glorified when we grow!

This is one of the main differences between Christianity and other religions. Other religions are all about people trying to appease their god, but God has already been appeased by what Christ did on the cross!

We can’t do anything on our own – we must come to Him humbly and abide in Him.

John 15:3 – 5 3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. 5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

Christ gives us power. He gives life to the branches. We just abide, which means to stay or remain with Him. It’s an active reliance on the work of God. Spiritual prosperity is dependent on spiritual proximity and that depends on going to the Bible!

To have a close relationship with Jesus we must spend time in His Word! Rely on His promises. Trust Him always. When we do this His work will flow through us. His power will protect us and His wisdom will guide us.

John 15:6 6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

The weeds are not part of the vine. And you can tell that because they don’t bear fruit. If you are not a part of Christ you aren’t under the mercy of His grace, but under the judgment of His wrath.

John 15:7 – 11 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. 9"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

Look at the blessings listed in these verses that we will receive if we remain in Christ:

1. Verse 7 - Our prayers will be answered. (Because we are living and thinking like Christ now.)
2. Verse 8 - We will bear fruit.
3. Verse 9 – We will have His unconditional love.
4. Verse 10 – Obedience. Keeping His commandments.
5. Verse 11 – Joy

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home