< What I Learned Teaching Sunday School: Colossians 1:24-29

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Colossians 1:24-29

Colossians 1:24-29 Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.


Christ died for His church.

Anyone who is working to further the church’s purpose - to grow the church - shares in Christ’s work. And that work usually involves suffering and pain and sacrifice. But Paul ways this is a privilege and honor.

The news that was kept secret until then was that the gospel (salvation through Christ) was not just for the Jews, but for all men everywhere. Paul’s job was to take Christ to “every man.” If it wasn’t for Paul, Christianity might have been just a sort of new Judaism.

Peter, James and John were pretty much only teaching the former Jews. We can apply this passage to our lives by thinking about how we are going to spread His message.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home