< What I Learned Teaching Sunday School: Making Sense of the Bible

Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Making Sense of the Bible

I got the book Making Sense of the Bible by David Whitehead for two reasons. I teach Sunday School and thought it would be a useful tool. And I LOVE the Bible and am always interested in learning more about it.

However when I got it I put off opening it for several weeks because I thought it was a reference book and at that time I wasn’t ready to pull out Bibles and notepads to “study”.

When I finally read it I realized how wrong I was. Yes it can be a reference book, but I sat and read it from cover to cover. It was easy to follow, made perfect sense and taught me a few things I didn’t know.

I really really like this book!

One of the author’s statements he makes both in the introduction and at the end is, “The goal in reading the Bible is not simply to read the Bible. The goal in reading the Bible is to get to know and interact with the God of the Bible.” He says that when the Bible is read with a humble heart and an eager mind, transformation can and does occur.

Scripture was given to us to help us know God better. David Whitehead tells us about the different writing styles, the different translations of the Bible and even talks briefly about each book.

It is an immensely inspiring and helpful book I heartily recommend!

Bethany House gave me a copy of this book for my honest review.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home