< What I Learned Teaching Sunday School: The First 15 Minutes

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The First 15 Minutes

Last week we were visiting our daughter in Charleston and went to her church, Coastal Community. The pastor, Chris Rollins was just starting a new series called Get Fit. He challenged people to begin everyday by spending the first 15 minutes with God. It was an awesome sermon.

Psalm 5:3 “Lord, every morning you hear my voice. Every morning, I tell you what I need, and I wait for your answer.”

He started by saying that the beginning of a year is a good time to get fit spiritually. (Seems to be a common theme this month!) But then he asked, “What’s a “win” going to be like for you this year?” And I was immediately able to think of my answer:

To make my life a positive witness for Christ and to serve as an act of worship.

Somehow just the way he asked it, I was able to get beyond the “spend more time reading the Bible” and “go on a mission trip.”

He said when we have our answer, then we need to make every step we take full of purpose toward that. No wasted steps!

1 Corinthians 8:26 So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step.

And that’s where the first 15 minutes of our day come in. Let God speak to you before you start your day.

Psalm 143:8 Let me hear of your unfailing love to me in the morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I have come to you in prayer.

How we start our day will impact how the rest of the day goes.

The pastor went on to say we are to give God the first part of our week. Meaning we should be in church every Sunday! And not with the motive, “What can I get out of church today?” but to encourage others and to worship God.

Next we are to give God the first part of our relationships. We need to build relationships and then share our faith with those people. All of life is an opportunity to make a positive witness for Christ. And wayward people coming home are very dear to God’s heart!

And lastly give God the best part of your energy. We don’t just go to church, we are the church.

Romans 14:17–19 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.
19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.


In every situation you can test yourself by asking, “Am I willingly doing this as an act of worship to You, God?”

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home