< What I Learned Teaching Sunday School: Psalm 63

Monday, April 26, 2010

Psalm 63

In church Sunday the pastor did a message from Psalm 63:

1 O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
2 I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.
3 Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
4 I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
5 My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
6 On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
7 Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.
8 My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.
9 They who seek my life will be destroyed;
they will go down to the depths of the earth.
10 They will be given over to the sword
and become food for jackals.
11 But the king will rejoice in God;
all who swear by God's name will praise him,
while the mouths of liars will be silenced.


He pointed out that verses 9 – 11 show that David was in the wilderness running and hiding from his son. But in verses 1 and 2 it shows he only wanted and needed God.

If we have one thing – God – we are beyond rich. David writes “Oh, God, you are my God." God offers Himself fully to us for complete intimacy. If it’s not there it’s because of something we’ve done, not Him.

John 6:37 says, “I will in no way cast out the one who comes to Me.” It’s a promise.

Then David goes on to say, “earnestly I seek you.” We need to love God, pursue Him, make Him our passion. We must choose between this world and God. This world is nothing compared to God.

Verses 3 – 5 talk about satisfaction and service. God’s loving kindness is better than the sum total of our lives. Satisfaction is a blessing from God that must be followed by service. Praise from our lips, but also pouring out our lives for Him. The pastor said we should ask ourselves if we are threatened by God’s demands on our life. And if we love life more then Him. The answer should be no!

But then the pastor said we should make our choice thoughtfully and then live that way. Give all we can to Christ. Serve God joyfully. It’s an honor and a privilege.

Verses 6 – 8 talk about comfort and clinging. We are weak and vulnerable. When we admit this to God, He shelters and comforts us. We are kept in His right hand by His mercy forever. No one can take us from Him! For this comfort our responsibility is to cling to Him. Focus on God and God alone. The Glory of God must be our center.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home