< What I Learned Teaching Sunday School: 2 Timothy 1: 1-5

Monday, January 25, 2010

2 Timothy 1: 1-5

2 Timothy 1: 1-5 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, according to the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus, To Timothy, my dear son: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.


Paul’s introduction is full of love for Timothy. He also states that the purpose of his apostleship was to make known the promise of eternal life through Christ Jesus. He names the blessings he’s asking for his beloved friend: grace, mercy and peace from God. When he talks about his forefathers he’s saying that Christianity is no new, upstart faith, but the culmination of Judaism. In worshipping God through Christ, Paul was in a sense, doing what had been done by generations of his devout ancestors. Paul always considered Christianity to be a sequel to Judaism.

See what he says in Acts 26: 6-7 And now it is because of my hope in what God has promised our fathers that I am on trial today. This is the promise our twelve tribes are hoping to see fulfilled as they earnestly serve God day and night. O king, it is because of this hope that the Jews are accusing me.

And look at Hebrews 6: 13-14 When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself, saying, "I will surely bless you and give you many descendants."

The promise to all Abraham’s descendents included Christians because it came through Jesus Christ.

He talks about Timothy’s mother and grandmother. This recognizes the influence of godly ancestors upon the lives of men. As parents we have a huge responsibility to pass on the baton of faith.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home